Tuesday 11 August 2015

Bath



I began to wish I had dressed more appropriately as we approached the county of Somerset, South,West England in the slushing of rain. I was expecting it to be a miserable August afternoon spent cowering for shelter inside a museum, merely glimpsing exterior architecture whilst wading between various venues of interest. I had to remind myself that this was just a characteristic of our wonderful country and that I should accept it and enjoy it in all its glory. In doing so I think I stopped the rain.  As we arrived in Bath it became pleasantly sunny. The streets were lined with exquisite Georgian townhouses, the back drop of many a period drama. I was awestruck by its classical beauty, humbled by its charm and immersed in its history.



 We were famished after our two and a half hour drive and so before our tour we embarked on finding somewhere for a quick bite to eat. Typical 21st Century chains would be obscenely unfitting in the surroundings yet we did manage to find a Subway near a Tesco and I even saw a McDonalds poster.  These things were obviously placed in a rather modern area. Everywhere else was unspoilt. Chain stores and shops were uniformly subtle in there appearance.



Our first stop was the Historical Roman Baths. I could literally spend hours absorbing the ancient structures and imagining myself standing there 2000 years ago trying to build up a picture of what life would have been like. The video and audio presentations really helped to conjure that up for me as it took us on the journey not only of the Roman times but also the discovery to the reconstruction of the baths. There were the statues of many famous Romans such as Emperors Julius Caesar , Hadrian and Claudius. Images of Gods.  I felt that the baths took us on a journey through time of the ordinary people. For example, the people traditionally had curses engraved onto fine lead to throw to the gods for consideration and when these were discovered and translated they were found to be quite petty and mundane. They would wish ill health on someone who nicked there clothes or the equivalent of a couple of quid.  Cultural traditions and different faiths were practiced in the Roman baths. Religion played very big part in those times. It all felt very familiar to me, the whole human civilization. I wondered if some day in thousands of years time, they might dig up Brent Cross Shopping Centre in the North of London, the first of many indoor shopping malls built in 1976. They might reconstruct the fountain and the rusty old escalators and talk about people through the ages from the 20th century.
The  green water.

The loud steaming water of a Roman drain.


The Golden Head of Sulis Minerva

The Roman Baths is an absolute must for anyone visiting the city no matter how enthralled or not you are by history. The ancient artifacts, the modern visual re-enactments displayed on video screens make for a great experience.  The hot mineral water bursting from the ground eventually tamed by the Romans had always been considered to be a gift from the gods. Now it is lime green with Algae. We were not supposed to touch it because it was untreated but curiosity got the better of me. I wanted to be sure it was hot, I wasn’t taking anyone’s word for it and I could wash my hands after.  









Over priced Rugby shirts






After walking around the delightful City, it was time to go to the Jane Austen Centre. It wasn’t a huge building with a lot to see but an absolutely marvellous experience for a literature buff.  Her life and the history of her family  was passionately presented by a Jane Austen adoring fan dressed up as Kitty Bennet from the famous novel Pride and Prejudice. Then we toured the building 40 Gay street which is similar to No 25 Gay street where Jane Austen lived for a short time. 


During my visit to Bath I tried to imagine what it might have been like with out the intrusive sound and presence of traffic. I was able to see it so clearly in a visual presentation of Jane Austen’s life in Bath set to an enchanting clarinet concerto by Mozart.  


As you can see, we were able to dress in costume.


When I held the quill I encountered romantic notions of living in Bath and becoming an author.


The Royal Crescent Designed by the architect John Wood the Younger and built between 1767 and 1774, it is among the greatest examples of Georgian architecture to be found in the United Kingdom and is a Grade I listed building.[   It has been used as a film location for many things but the most memorable one for me was The musical Oliver made in 1968 based on Charles Dicken’s Novel  Oliver Twist. The scene was for the song “Who will buy”  It was a beautifully choreographed, colourful scene. I grew up being a huge fan of that musical as I would play back the sound track on vinyl over and over. I adored Mark Lester who played Oliver, was fascinated with Ron Moody’s portrayal of Fagan and petrified of Oliver Reed’s Bill Sykes.




I fell in love with Bath. It’s a truly inspiring place which I will return to again and again. I am intrigued to learn more about the Roman Empire from where I left off at school and now keen to follow up other old haunts of Jane Austen. Next stop Chawton and Winchester.












No comments:

Post a Comment